4 careers for creative people
Finding an occupation you are passionate about that also uses your creative abilities might seem hard. Some people don’t consider creativity when they imagine a day-to-day career. But if you think about it, there are many careers out there that draw on creativity. If you are looking to use your creative abilities while also building a career, here are five jobs for creative thinkers you might consider.
- Graphic designer: With more and more going digital, graphic design could be an in demand job for creative thinkers. Graphic design work is projected to grow 3 percent from 2018 to 2028 as designers continue to be important in marketing products throughout the economy.1 While this field is facing strong competition, those who are artistic, creative and skilled in communication and computers could be a good fit. Graphic designers typically use their creative skills to work with illustration, photo and layout software; design layouts, including color and typefaces; and work with clients and art directors to incorporate feedback.
- Cosmetologist: Another career for creative people could be cosmetology. If you are looking for a hands-on career where you help people look and feel their best while using your creative abilities, this career could be the right fit. Cosmetologists are responsible for providing facial treatments, makeup analysis, hair styling and nail care to clients in salons and spas. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 72 percent of people working in this field are self-employed, allowing for creative control. Careers as barbers, hairstylists and cosmetologists are projected to grow 8 percent from 2018 to 2028 which faster than the average for all jobs.1
- Chef: If you love to cook and want to incorporate your passion for food into a creative job, you might consider the culinary arts. Chefs and head cooks are responsible for checking the freshness of ingredients, preparing recipes and determining how to present dishes, planning menus and more. Jobs in this field are projected to grow 11 percent from 2018 to 2028, faster than the average for all occupations, so this might be a great job for creative types.1
- Computer drafter: Computer drafters are responsible for converting the designs of architects and engineers into technical drawings. Having a creative background can be extremely beneficial in this career, as drafters have to be able to think outside the box to bring all the details together in a way that works.
1 BLS statistics represent national job growth expectations and are not necessarily reflective of local market conditions.
2 Employment not guaranteed for students or graduates.
- Graphic design job outlook
- Qualities of a graphic designer
- Duties of a graphic designer
- Duties of a cosmetologist
- 72 percent of cosmetologists are self-employed
- Cosmetologist job outlook
- Duties of a chef
- Job outlook for a chef
- Duties of a drafter
- Qualities of a drafter
- Job outlook for drafters